Article by Steve Joy, careers adviser for research staff in the arts, humanities, and social sciences at the University of Cambridge
Steve Joy who authored the popular article Academic CVs: 10 irritating mistakes has also written an article aimed at academics in search of their next academic post. The article encourages self-reflection and could easily be applied to anyone searching for their next role.
The 10 questions Steve says to consider are:
- How did you get to where you are now?
- How much do you know about other options?
- What do you find fulfilling in your current work?
- What do you find unfulfilling or frustrating?
- Do you have talents you’re not currently using, but would like to?
- What, realistically, will you need to do in order to maximise your chances of succeeding in your current career?
- Are you good enough?
- What practical considerations must you keep in mind?
- Whose career advice are you seeking?
- How do you tend to make decisions?
For the full article click here.